Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Traditional Gyro Meat

Can you fall in love with food?

That is a question I ponder from time to time. I remember reading in one of my earliest posts on here that I should have went into culinary instead of journalism. Looking back on those days, however, I definitely made the right choice not only because of what I learned academically but because of the incredible group of people I was surrounded with. But remembering that old blog post, I said that I would combine my love of food with my love of writing with this blog... I think so far, that's been my take-away of it. I hope that anyone else reading it will sense that passion and excitement I bring in my musings.

This recipe, though...this Traditional Gyro Meat recipe submitted to Allrecipes by The Dread Pirate Paramour (interesting name, I might say. Catchy!), is as Nance says - the BOMB! I don't think I can get any clearer about this.

I realize, though, that the recipe is not so traditional in my case. I used only beef and no lamb. Lamb is a huge luxury and considering I cut the recipe in half just to try it out, I wasn't going to dish out the extra cash for the lamb. Perhaps in another time and life... I will do just that... but for now... this is where I'm at.

I will say, however, that this meat mixture did come pretty close to the taste of the gyros you can get in the freezer section of the local supermarket and even the gyros you can buy at fairs and from street vendors. It's probably the same thing either way.

I think it's the spices used that gives it such a unique flavor... probably the rosemary. I can tell you that if you put in on homemade pita bread and top it with a homemade cucumber sauce, you won't go wrong!

Make it and see for yourself!

It's worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment