Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Red Hot Devils


Crazy as the title of this post sounds... Red Hot Devils are actually a different way of making hot dogs. Well - a different type of sauce that people of this area are probably not used to. 

Every so often, I get hungry for the mystery meat we call hot dogs. It's probably one of the very few processed foods I actually eat. Last week I had a craving for them loaded with sauerkraut. With the four dogs left in the fridge, I wanted to try something different and this recipe for Red Hot Devils appeared... it was MAGIC! Sarah M., if you're out there... THANKS!! 

I have to admit that every time I think of a hot dog, one of my former grad school professors comes to mind, Kevin Patrick. He has this strange obsession with hot dogs and it seems that every trip he takes his students on, there is a stop at some hot dog joint along the way. I took his class (my favorite of grad school) during the Fall 2014 semester and on a weekend trip to NYC, we happened to end up at two. 

The first one was Rutt's Hut in Clifton, New Jersey:


The second place we stopped, at the end of our trip, was none other than Nathan's Famous on Coney Island:



Anyhow back to reality from my trip down memory lane and back to the recipe. The sauce was reminiscent of a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce with a touch of heat and was extremely delicious!! I think most have the ingredients already on hand and it is SO worth it! I give this one a HUGE thumbs up! 

I have definitely found an awesome way to make hot dogs. I think this would even be good for a pot luck with it simmering in the Crock-Pot!! 

You try it! Let me know what you think!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment