Monday, September 11, 2017

"Green Bean Caesar" Recipe Review

I thought this afternoon that I would thaw a Cornish Game Hen and cook it in the rotisserie. While it was thawing, I went to SuperCook to find something different. I was not in the mood for potatoes so I thought I might try to find some sort of green bean side dish to go with my hen. Sure, green beans smothered with butter would have sufficed but I didn't want something that simple.

The site gave me a lot of recipes that seemed to be like Green Bean Casserole only without the condensed soups and milk. That didn't appeal. Other recipes had tomatoes or potatoes in them and those didn't appeal either. I wanted to try something DIFFERENT... not the same old stuff.

I found this one and thought I'd try it. It is called Green Bean Caesar. In this post, I am not going to link the member who posted the recipe out of respect for the family. Her profile said she passed - I feel that would be in bad taste.

But anyhow, it sounded very interesting to me, especially the use of salad oil and vinegar. Since the recipe doesn't specify the TYPE of salad oil or vinegar, I used a sub oil I had in the fridge and red wine vinegar.

I have to say, paired with the Cornish Game Hen that I used cajun seasoning on (make your own, I did!) the green beans were tasty. I'd recommend giving it a try. It is easy to make... just mix it up and throw it in the oven to heat - or in my case the toaster oven. The parmesan/butter/bread crumb topping while giving it some of the cheese flavor, did not look that great and left a gritty texture on top. But that's my own opinion and preference. I usually don't add breadcrumb toppings to things BECAUSE of this. Maybe I should have used the cajun seasoning in it as well but I wanted to keep it as close to original as possible - next time!!

But this is how it looked:



How about you try it and let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment