Saturday, September 30, 2017

Pretzel Buns

Do pretzels have buns?!

Probably not, but these Pretzel Buns from Brittskydoodledoodlepie are... O.M.G.! DELICIOUS!!

Before making these, I read the reviews posted on Allrecipes and I noticed some of the negative reviews said the dough was sticky. I have a couple of thoughts about this.

One, is that the recipe (I halved it) calls for three cups of flour. Well, if you have a humid day or a house that is damp (which mine is a bit), you need to add more flour to the counter when you're kneading the dough.

The second thing is to only knead it for the five minutes the recipe calls for. Since it IS a dough that is a little bit sticky, that's all you need.

Third and most important - leave it alone for a few hours and let it rise. I can't stress this enough. After I punched the dough down and shaped the rolls, I let it go for a second rise. This helps the gluten develop and gives you a very nice texture once the rolls are baked.

Ok - so yes, dipping the formed dough into hot baking soda water is a bit messy and it adds another step to the process but that's what gives them the pretzel taste, and probably the soft inner pretzel texture.

Truly if you want something unique and delicious... definitely try these! Better than the pretzel buns served in the various places around town. They are SO worth the effort!!

If you do, let me know how it worked for you!











No comments:

Post a Comment