Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Oyster Stew

Well hello everyone!! I'm back!!

It has been five years but I figured it was time for some writing for myself and perhaps to entertain the few people who actually read this blog.

I know, I know... what could possibly bring me back to this food blog? FOOD!! Plus I now have the time to actually dedicate to it. I hope everyone will get a kick out of my new musings about food, cooking, and life in general.

So sit back and enjoy the ride!!

First up...Oyster Stew.

I used canned oysters for this as I am in Western Pennsylvania and the fresh ones are kind of hard to come by. These are tasty in their own right. I stayed away from the smoked ones this time but next time I make this, I may use smoked to add a different flavor profile.

I made a blond roux... YES!! I made a roux - half flour and half some sort of fat. I used butter since that is what I had on hand and I thought it would make it taste better... doesn't everything?!

In a separate skillet, I sauteed garlic and onion and set that aside. Once the roux was bubbling, I added a combination of evaporated milk, milk, the juice of the oysters, the juice of a can of mushrooms and the onion/garlic mixture.

I also added a bunch of herbs and spices. This really was to my own taste so I am sure that everyone who wants to make it can throw in whatever they want. I like things on the spicy side so you can get the idea that is what I added.

I have to say... I am still surprised at times by my own creations. :)

I think the next time I make this, I will add corn and potatoes to make it more of a chowder. What do you all think??

A picture to get everyone salivating??












No comments:

Post a Comment