Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Leftover Crock-Pot Chicken = Tomato Bisque with Chicken

Remember the roast chicken I made in the Crock-Pot yesterday?

Well... I wanted to find a way to use it other than the obvious of just eating it as is. There was a large quantity of chicken left (it WAS a six-pound bird) and off the bone it yielded about three-quarters of a gallon zip-lock bag. I decided to turn to my favorite search engine Super Cook to find a new recipe to combine some ingredients.

I found this Tomato Bisque with Chicken recipe which sounded interesting. Let me be clear, I am NOT reviewing the recipe. I only used it as an inspiration for what I was about to do. I want to thank the contributor "vababe" for creating a base in which I could build on. 

For my creation, I followed the procedure of the recipe (except for the use of flour) but altered my ingredients based on what I had on hand. Let me walk you through what I did. It's simple and anyone can do it. 

As in the recipe, I cooked an onion and a few cloves of garlic in olive oil until they were soft. I then added a 28oz can of stewed tomatoes plus two 14oz cans of diced tomatoes with liquid, four cups of chicken broth, and the oregano, parsley and basil. The herbs were to my taste and considering this was a large stock pot of bisque, I used at least a tablespoon of each. These ingredients I let come to a boil. Then I took the pot off the heat and used my immersion blender to pulverize everything. Once there were no chunks left in the pot, I put it back on the stove over low hear.

I will also ask if you remember the roasted garlic cream sauce I made yesterday? Well... yeah... I did. I used it in place of the heavy cream the recipe called for. I think I had almost three cups of it left so that was added to the pot plus the chicken, and I also added parmesan cheese (again, the real stuff - not the stuff in the can).

I have to admit that I have never made bisque before and this simple combination of ingredients on hand really had a phenomenal taste! 

Try it!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment