Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pepperoni???

Yesterday, before I made that pizza, I cooked the bacon in one of my trusty cast iron skillets. Well, it's well seasoned, but I use salt and hot water to get all the stuck foods out of it. I'm a little low on salt until Friday and remembered I had a big container of Tender Quick food preserver in my pantry. Knowing it was mostly salt, and I needed an abrasive, I just used that to clean out the cast iron skillet.

Well, my curiosities made me wonder what exactly was in it. So I googled it and got the Morton website. I saw the ingredients, and then I noticed there were recipes on there. Hmmmm, me + a site with recipes = hours spending looking through them, lol.

So, I clicked on the preserve and canning section and found myself face to face with recipes for both pepperoni and salami... I looked at both and found I have most of the spices needed to make them, plus the beef. So, last night, I got out some ground beef to thaw.

It's funny that all this recipe consists of is: tender quick, liquid smoke, ground black pepper, mustard seed, fennel seed, red pepper, anise seed and garlic powder. If you want the exact measurements to make it... hey, go to the website and get it yourself... Mix it all up, wrap it, fridge it overnight and then make the necessary preparations tomorrow...

Here is the link to the recipe: Pepperoni

I was going to use that on a pizza tonight, but that's going to have to wait. I want to try this 'pepperoni'...

It smells like the store bought stuff... I nuked a small piece of it in the micro... it tastes almost identical... so, I'm really looking forward to continuing the process and making pizza tomorrow...

Pictures and a review to come... stay tuned!!



Now... what's for dinner tonight??!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment