Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fresh Tomato Pizza


Saturday afternoon found myself driving to grandma's to get some fresh tomatoes. Since I was a kid, one of the finest tastes in my life has been the tomatoes out of her garden. Nothing has ever come close to the rich sweetness that I've enjoyed throughout the years. That just made me sound really old, lol... but no, I'm only 38... I remember sitting in her garden when I was little, with just a salt shaker, picking tomatoes off the vines and eating them right there.

Simple pleasures can be had when you're a child that you cherish the memory and savor the flavor that you've grown to love.

So when she called, I was so there, lol...

Now the question was... what to do with them... of course I ate one or two the same way I used to, only over the kitchen sink and not in the garden, but definitely with my trusty salt shaker. I thought since I bought some cornmeal for scooting my pizza's out onto the stone in the oven. I'd try a fresh tomato pizza.

Not in the mood for sauce, I only topped it with some olive oil, tomato, green olives, oregano, basil, fresh garlic (out of my moms garden), and salt.

I could have put more on it, but I didn't want the flavor of the tomato to be lost with everything else. So I kept it pretty simple.

I have to say, I'm getting really good at mastering pizza dough and baking it. Not being conceited at all... it's been a long time coming. I could never get the crust right and it always used to turn out undercooked. Not anymore. Not with the stone and an extremely hot oven. I'm thinking of all kinds of toppings to try. Believe me, I'm coming up with some interesting combinations. One of these days, there's going to be a seafood one... That's a promise.

So, the pizza turned out... incredible.

A nice sweet taste of the tomato combine with a slight bite from the garlic and olives. Even the olive oil gave a nice delicate flavor and balance along with the few spices.

So for all of you cooks out there... a simple pizza like this... try it... I'm sure you'll enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment