Monday, August 23, 2010

Oriental Steak - RECIPE ADDED


When I was a kid... my mom bought me this cookbook called, Better Homes and Gardens New Junior Cookbook. It was published in 1979, so I'll assume that is when I got it. One of the recipes I used to make and still make on occasion, is called Oriental Steak. It's sort of the same as pepper steak.

Since I was given fresh tomatoes and peppers, I decided to make some of this tonight. I have to say, after 20+ years, it still tastes the same.

The combination of peppers and tomatoes along with the soy sauce, rice and steak will probably continue to be a favorite of mine for years to come.


2017 UPDATE:

Since restarting my blog, I decided to share this recipe as it is written in the cookbook it came out of. Here is the recipe:

1 green pepper - cut into thin strips
1 tomato - cut into pieces
1 cup cold water
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
4 small beef cubed steaks
rice or noodles

1. Put water, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a jar. Screw on lid tightly and shake until smooth. Set aside.

2. Put oil in skillet. Over medium-high heat, add green pepper. Cook until lightly browned. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and put on plate.

3. Put steaks in pan. Brown on each side. Remove and put on plate.

4. Shake mixture in jar again. Pour into skillet. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.

5. Put meat and peppers back into pan. Add tomato and heat through. Serve over rice or noodles.




No comments:

Post a Comment