Saturday, August 21, 2010

Brazilian-style Flan


What makes flan, Brazilian style?

That is the question I'm pondering at the moment. Most flans are made mostly of eggs. I found this recipe on the web and it calls for condensed milk. I think that's the reason for it being 'Brazilian' style. Brazilians are notorious for using condensed milk in their desserts. I should know, I've been there to taste quite a few. It seemed that most desserts I tried, there was condensed milk in it... they even go so far as taking a can of condensed milk, not opening it, boiling the can and it creates a a sort of dulce de leche dessert. I've tried that here in the states and it actually works. It's really sweet, but it is good.

Now for the flan. I'm a huge fan of Cuban flan, having made Gloria Estefan's recipe since I saw it in a magazine probably 10 years ago.

This version, isn't too sweet, but is very rich and creamy. The caramelized sugar topping is excellent and produces just the correct amount of sweetness to round it out.

Google it... it's a must make dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment